Forum Boards for MYOB Software and QuickBooks
Where independent users support one another to provide FREE MYOB HELP and FREE QUICKBOOKS HELP

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Track multiple stock supplies using Receive Items

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Boards for MYOB Software and QuickBooks Forum Index -> General MYOB Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Track multiple stock supplies using Receive Items Reply with quote

Hi,

I presume Receive Items is supposed to allow you to create a purchase order, then record each time stock on that order is supplied and see how many are still to come. That works fine but I can't find any journal entries related to each stock supply. I'm using MYOB Accounting v17.

Let's say I order 100 widgets from supplier xyz. They send me 60 widgets on invoice 501 with 40 on back order, two weeks later they send 30 on invoice 502 and a month later they send the remaining 10 on invoice 503. When each consignment arrives I can enter that I've received those, the date and the invoice number, but once they're all in there's no way I can find to go back and see on what date and invoice number each shipment came. The order shows 100 ordered and 100 received but I can't see the 60, 30 and 10 unit consignments anywhere. Each time an invoice number is entered it just overwrites what was there before so only the last invoice number is saved. Recap Transaction simply shows the total amount in the A/P and inventory accounts. It just doesn't seem to create a journal entry anywhere for Receive Items (same as Orders for that matter) which means I have no way of marrying up invoices with orders, and of even greater concern is that I can't track when each invoice is due.

Can this be fixed so it's possible to review each receive items transaction just as you could, say, a build items transaction?

If I'm not missing something and this is just the way it is, what is a better way to preserve my original purchase order but still show multiple supplies on multiple invoices relating to one purchase order? I know I can create duplicate purchase orders for each supply but I don't then have one purchase order showing what I ordered.

Thanks,
Greg
Veechi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg

You can see movements of the whole transaction in whatever liability account you set up for Item Receipts but yes, if you have multiple item receipts, MYOB just overrides the journal entry that goes to this account.

One workaround is every time you receive an item receipt, first receive the items and then change to a bill. This way you'll get an individual transaction history for each delivery (which will show in the Item Receipts liability account)

Hope this helps,

Veechi
MYOB Consultant, QuickBooks Consultant and business author
koffee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch...this is such a serious limitation. Hopefully MYOB will fix this.
gregp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Veechi. Yeah koffee it's a serious limitation but Veechi's solution is at least a starting point. It means you can at least enter an invoice number for each consignment, get a separate journal entry and track when it's due etc. Unfortunately it still doesn't appear to preserve the original order though - as you receive items / bill them, they are removed from the order and once everything has been received the order disappears - the 'Order' behaves like 'stock on order' rather than 'purchase order'. Is there some way to prevent this, and if not can you scream into MYOB's ears and get them to change it pretty pleeeeease? Smile I've asked for this already but I imagine you'll carry a bit more clout than just someone who pays to buy their software Rolling Eyes

I can't quite see what the Receive Items step adds to things, can you elaborate please?

Thanks!
Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Boards for MYOB Software and QuickBooks Forum Index -> General MYOB Questions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: